Info:


To read some of my material, feel free to browse through the small selection listed on the GENRE page. Just to make it confusing.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

MICK STEEL : FUNNY GUY

Mick Steel Funny Guy.

I've had a lot of people over my journey say to me that I'm  a very funny guy.. 

This is true but how did this come about?  I spent a few years on the OPEN MIKE circuit and was really surprised that most of the comedians were not funny people. Some were neither funny on stage or off.

So what makes me this funny guy?

1.  Well first of all you've got to be likeable and this is where so many "Open mike" comedians fall at the first hurdle. To be likeable is not being opinionated nor contradictory nor critical of everything. But that is just about being likeable.

I started telling dirty jokes at school before I was  10 years old. My stepfather would come home from work telling these jokes and I would tell them at school. And I would laugh as if I knew what they meant and the the reality was I didn't know what most of them meant. And I kept telling them and as I grew older I found out hat they meant.

Like: What part of Popeye never goes rusty?                                                                                               The part he puts in Olive Oyl. 

I got in trouble for telling that in class. I had no idea what it meant.

So anyway by the age of 12 or 13 this funny kid thing was  my niche. Since no one reads this blog page here's the trick to be me being a funny guy.

 2 I'm at my funniest when being seriously honest. 

 3 I'm aware that I talk in my own style. It irritates the fuck out of me so it must do to others but it me. I say something, repeat it and then go onto another tangent or reference.

So is that all that funny? Not yet.

When I want or wanted  to be funny I talk in extremes. 

Comparisons are to either Jesus Christ or Hitler. When I talk in numbers they are ridiculously big.

And  I think the other thing is I often say nothing. 

 And then there is the Graham Kennedy factor.  When watching Blankey Blanks in particular Graham used to say things so that panellist , Ugly Dave gray, Stuart Wagstaff, whoever had the punchline. he  let other s crack the joke. I do that .I start saying something and let other s do the joke Because once you let other people be funny they walk away thinking that you are the funniest person they have met.

And then we go back to the extremes. the extremes get the laugh.

However , when I  tell a true story like the Carl Ditterich story, it's the opposite. The story in itself is extreme so very word I say is matter of fact.

That's about it. The secret to being funny.