Info:


To read some of my material, feel free to browse through the small selection listed on the GENRE page. Just to make it confusing.

Monday, November 17, 2014

OPEN MIKE - STAND UP Part 2

 Part 2 


Although this is about my experiences in stand up I am condensing the experiences so that it's to the point. If I wrote an anecdote about every good and bad experience which I had and the people I met, well, that would be called a book and a very boring book.

THE OPEN MIKERS
When you begin your tenure as an  Open Mike comic you find that you are one of about a dozen new comics on the scene. These guys and gals are your new workmates, they are not your friends, although it's great if you are friendly, and they may become your friends in time but initially they are just people who turn up at the same venue as you do each week. And they are competitive. I personally found that the group which I started with got on pretty well,  some were indifferent to me, but hey, it was generally a very good group.
(One thing I found that everyone involved in comedy has a different comedy taste so it's not necessarily a scene to find like minded people. Far from it.) However some of that group had problems with other members of the group. Taking on board I was nearly 40 and married and these were mainly 20-30 year old's  so they were mixing with each other more. Anyway, the general feeling at an open mike venue is that no one wants you to do shit-house because that makes it harder for the next act, and no one wants you to do too good because that is ego deflating.


PAYMENT
The open mike scene means that as an open mike comic you do the pubs Sunday to Thursday performing to between ten and thirty people and if you get some good feedback you get to do Friday and Saturday night at the clubs performing to maybe 250 people.
As an open mike you don't get paid. The information I 'm giving here is what a number of comics have told me and they've all told me the the same figures.
At mid week venues the promoter gets $900 (that was 6-7 years ago) from the pub. Of that $900 the MC got about $250 and the lights and sound guy got about $200. So the promoter gets $450 a night and the promoter may have a dozen venues, most weekly so that there's a gig for every night of the week. Not bad. Take on board there's no cover charge by the pub and no radio or TV advertising by the promoter so it's all word of mouth and maybe a generic poster. I hope that makes sense.

I think each act should get $20 for the effort.  Greed rules though , and if that will never apply a weeknight venue I think It should definitely apply for the Friday and Saturday night venues with interstate headliners, packed rooms and the open mike is part of the show.

I remember at the end of my first year I was in  this hilarious conversation.
 Me         When's the party?.
Comic     What party?
Me           The end of year party.
Comic      What end of year party?
Me            The end of year party to thank us.
Comic       Pardon.
Me           Well we've been performing at pubs and clubs all year without any payment so I can only assume that at the end of the year the promoter puts on food and drinks for us to show his support          and appreciation for making him heaps of money.
Comic       You've got be kidding

What's hilarious is that I'm a complete idiot at times.

I know a few comics who have demanded payment after about 6 performances but  that is ridiculous also because they don't know their craft and I believe open mike is about learning the comedy craft. I was offered a paid gig after my ninth performance, I refused saying "I'm not ready". That was a mistake because it was 18 months before I got was paid again and that time I accepted.

In 2006 a comedian who went under the name Motormouth started a Sunday night Pub venue. Part of his thing was that everyone who did perform did get $20 and they got it on the night , and sure enough it went straight back over the bar so everyone was a winner.

THE VENUE
The pub is the stock standard open mike venue. The pub has no interest in the comedians they are there to sell beer. That has to be noted. Every pub is different and I for one couldn't give a rats. Some are better than others. I recall The Holland Hotel had a few huge pylons in the middle of the room which meant patrons had to sit strategically so they could see you. But my thinking in all cases was that there's nothing I could do about the room so why worry about it.

GETTING THE BEST OUT OF YOURSELF
Normally at an open mike night there are about 8 acts, sometimes there's twice that many but rarely. My thing was to get up first. No one ever had an issue with this. No one, ever.  The reason being is that the MC had has just got up, he's done his stuff , he's warmed up the audience and they are at their best and if you are going to get a good intro, it's more likely to be after they've done their big 10-15 minute warm up. I learnt this after about ten performances and being first helped my confidence. If  by some chance I missed the opening spot I chose to be first act after the interval ( usually five minutes so people get drinks), because this is when the MC also does a high energy piece. Coming on last or second last sounds important but if the audience hasn't been receptive to the other acts you can be beaten before you start, even if you do well. Or everyone has gone home.

THE MC
At an open mike venue you soon get used to your surrounds. I'm talking about the same venue which you rock up to every week. The staff is the same, the audience are often the same people and you are performing with the same comics . The one thing that changes each week is the MC. In Brisbane the MC is also a headliner or main support at the big venues on the weekend. What does this mean? It means that in most cases he doesn't want to be at the pub gig on Tuesday night. Ok it's frustrating for him/her. You are now with a group of people who you know and they know you except the MC.

The MC is often you worst enemy at the open mike venue. He doesn't want to be there and he thinks all the acts are shit. He's wondering why he's there on Tuesday night when he should be playing The Entertainment Centre  or being on some TV show.  Some of them have no problem conveying this message to comics and audiences alike with microphone in hand. But they go into this venue with one thing which you don't have and that's the experience and stagecraft to make your night a misery so that they can feel good about themselves.

One MC story for this piece.
My comedy mate Mike Shanahan was performing on a Friday night at a venue at which there was a cover charge. He was the support. It didn't stop MC and headliner throwing coasters at him when on stage. He still talks abut it. More of these types of stories later, because some of them are shockers.
I do think the promoter has the job to tell the MC that part of his job is to build up the acts and support them and not shit can and abuse them and I told a promoter that after an incident involving myself.

THE LEARNING PHASE
The main thing to remember when you are in this learning phase is that you are in this learning phase. Get up and do your seven minutes, I would do six to six and a half just so I didn't piss anyone off,  but also because I could concentrate on getting that right. The thing with Stand Up Comedy is that it's all about "me" but you have to say to yourself "Is it all about 'me' tonight in front of this crowd of 15 people or am I using it so it can be all about me in front of 1000 people". Rehearse your lines and get your time up there right. Listen to what they laugh at and figure out what they laugh at and why and what they don't laugh at and why? Cut bits and add bits. Get it right. No one cares but you, really.


Mick Steel writer of a play or screenplay called OPEN MIKE about one night at a pub comedy venue.