Info:


To read some of my material, feel free to browse through the small selection listed on the GENRE page. Just to make it confusing.

Monday, June 12, 2023

BARRY HUMPHRIES 1934 -2023

I never see any sense in me doing an obituary at the time of a comedians death. I have to reflect.

I consider that Barry Humphries was the greatest stage performer ever, albeit in the the guise or disguise of Dame Edna Everage, Sir Les Patterson or Sandy Stone. I say stage performer as he was not a stand up comedian.

I first saw a Dame Edna/Barry show in Brisbane in I think it was 1979. I went by myself and was I about the tenth row, just far enough away as to not cop any of Les's dribble. Over the next forty years I saw him most times he came to Brisbane or the Gold Coast.

The funny thing for me is when I watch a comedian doing their live show I usually spend half the show figuring out how they do their show, by that I mean their structure and lots of other bullshit things.

However since Barry was not a stand up comedian I just watched the show and laughed loud. 

Until his death. 

Since he has died I have watched countless of his interviews and other appearances,  I've even watched the horrific Les Patterson Saves The World twice, but these things you do.

But what I did discover is what his style of comedy actually was and that was a strangely a revelation to me and that is Sir Les for example never had a bad word to say about anybody. But in being kind he would say something totally unnecessary about that person and that is wherein the joke would lie. He would go "She's a lovely person , BUT  it's a pity that she does this."

So what was this creature Barry Humphries?

One thing I've noticed is that in interviews Barry was nowhere near as quick witted as Dame Edna or Les. Barry was the real person and as the real person I have seen him hold back where as Edna would go straight for the throat. Dame Edna and Les were quick witted characters, but also Edna in particular was always way prepared and way ahead of her guests or hosts.

Barry or more so Edna was:

1 The greatest stage performer.

2 A very good TV host.

3 A good serious actor who did too little serious acting.

4 Made a few funny Barry McKenzie films but Les Patterson Saves The World ended the idea of anyone investing in his films. Although I could re-edit the film cut out ten minutes and make it watchable. Unfortunately I'd cut out the whole unnecessary segment with Graham Kennedy although his one not so funny line is the best thing in the whole film.

5. A good author.

6. Barry made one sketch show special in the late 70's. I watched it of course and just wished there were more. Probably time consuming as he would have written it all by himself.

A few things. When I saw Barry in 1979 he was not the flavour of the month. He was a niche performer and my mother questioned me on what I was doing seeing a man who dresses up as a woman. I answered "He's a comedian'.

I met Barry once with my ex wife. he was incredibly friendly and charming to me, but no doubt my ex wife had a lot to do with that.

In one interview with Barry he said that in order Peter Cook, Benny Hill and John Cleese because of Fawlty Towers are the be three best comedian/writers to come from England. I love this because many will denounce Benny Hill but this was not only a correct assessment but an honest one.